Sunday, January 11, 2009

Escape Artist!!

This past week, Austin has been battling a really stuffy nose and little cough.  Because of this, he has had some trouble sleeping at night, and has spent quite a few hours in bed with us.  Which has been great for him (he sleeps way better in our room for some reason! maybe it's just his ploy to get in to our bed...the sukers we are!)  but we however, do not.  Austin is quite the tosser and turner, and quite the kicker!! We are constantly getting jabs in the face or ribs (kind of like being pregnant!!), but we always give in, for whatever reason, no matter how many people tell us it's a bad habit to get into.  

The last few days however, Austin has been feeling better and sleeping through the night again!  So when we heard him crying in the wee hours of the night/morning last night, we figured, let's give him 10 minutes and see if he goes back to sleep!  Exactly 6 minutes into it (I don't do well letting him cry it out and I am usually staring at the clock), his crying on the monitor gets fainter, yet I can hear him getting louder closer to our room.  I am thinking, "what the?," and then I realize "Oh my god, HE GOT OUT OF HIS CRIB!" 

I run to our doorway, and sure enough, Austin is running towards me, crying with his arms held up reaching for me!!  I am feeling awful for letting him cry, because obviously he was upset about something, but then I am thinking to myself, how on earth did he get out?!  Then I realize my mistake, and I hope I can fix it!!  Just yesterday, Brian and I were talking about how Austin is such the tosser and turner and sometimes wakes himself up when he hits the sides of the crib.  So we decide to put his bumper pad back into his crib, thinking this would help cushion him.  Big no-no!!  What we ended up creating instead, was a big step to boost Austin out of his crib!!  Sure enough, I went into his room and you could tell Austin used the bumper crib to push himself up and over the crib rail.  Austin 1, Mom & Dad, big fat 0.  

First thing this morning, the bumper pad came out!  Let's hope this solves the escape artist's new moves and he doesn't attempt this again!  (Seriously, not even 2 days ago we were just saying how lucky we were Austin had not attempted to climb out of his crib, boy did we knock on the wrong type of wood!)  But if Austin does do this again, I am going to need your help Kollen girls, and get the number for those crib tents ASAP!  :) It amazes me though, that once he climbed out of his crib, he knew how to open his door and run straight down our bowling alley of a hall, through our family room and to our bedroom all in the dark!!  At least he has good built in navigation!!  

3 comments:

cari said...

Smart little boy...you might have to go to the crib tent :) Thanks for coming over yesterday...so good to see you!!

Bill and Paige said...

I know the crib tents can be overnighted!!!

Nicole said...

Ok so what is this crib tent?