Saturday, July 11, 2009

Japan...the first week and a half...

I don't even know where to begin...this has been such an amazing/crazy/awesome adventure, my head is spinning from all that has gone on this past week and a half!! This is going to be a long post, so bare with me, I just have so much to tell!!!


4th OF JULY...
It was a little different celebrating the 4th of July in another country, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the day and having fun!! Since the guys were playing out of town, we didn't have a game to go to, so we (all the American wives/children) had a potluck get together and watched the game on TV! We didn't get to see or light any fireworks, but with all the kids running around (they range in ages 2 months to 9 years old) there was plenty of excitement for us all!! The cutest part was seeing the 3 baby girls on the team (Brooke is the youngest, but there is also a 6 month old and a 9 month old) in their 4th of July outfits, they were all decked out in their red, white and blue! We thought about taking a picture, but it just didn't work out!! I am so lucky to have met such wonderful girls, they are so much fun and have definitely made the kids and I feel right at home here ;)

Brooke showing off her red, white and blue!!

Happy 4th of July!

Celebrating the 4th of July with Grandma in Japan!!

This little firecracker was a dud!!!
Brooke taking a cat nap at the potluck party!!

LIFE IN JAPAN...
The best part about being in Japan is definitely being back with Brian!! Austin has been inseparable from Brian since we have been here, it's just the cutest ;) Our apartment is not bad at all, it's bigger than I expected, but there are definitely a few things that are very different here!! First of all, everything is SO LOW here...the counters, the sinks, the couches...you have to really bend down to do anything, I swear my back is aging by the minute here!!! The shower is interesting, it's super low to the ground so you are supposed to sit on a stool and and hold the shower sprayer, but thankfully someone installed a hook up higher so you can prop the shower hose on and stand up (although their "higher" here is still not up to 6'0" and taller standards!)...I can't imagine trying to wash this head of hair of mine with one hand!

Everything in the apartment is of course in Japanese, so trying to figure out how to turn the microwave/washer/dryer/TV on is interesting. There are some english labels taped on here and there, but I think we need to have the team's translator come out and help us out, we are still guessing at a lot of them!! There are some American channels on the TV, but they are mostly reruns from past seasons, but it's better than nothing! We have no oven, no garbage disposal, and no dishwasher. And garbage is a whole different story, they are super strict about it here and I am still figuring out what I can throw away and can't! You can only throw away your plastic and glass bottles here once a month, so things pile up fast!

The biggest challenge so far has been food, mainly grocery shopping!! Trying to figure out what's what is crazy. Some things are obvious, but it's really difficult finding the things we are used to, like cereal, bread, (their "loaf" of bread here consists of 5 slices in a bag, that's it!! It's weird.) milk (I think I have been using whole milk since I have been here and it makes me gag just thinking about it!!), meat (you should see their seafood section here, it looks more like an aquarium exhibit!! INTERESTING!!). Thank god for Costco is all I have to say. There is a costco here and they do have a lot of things we are familiar with (I know, it kind of beats the purpose of experiencing the true life here in Japan, but you would do it too!!!), unfortunately our freezer/fridge is super small so we can't stock up on too much, but it helps. The other reason costco is so great is that things are just SO EXPENSIVE here it's crazy, so buying in bulk is way better for sure ;) I can't get over the price of things here. Baby products and Food are ridiculously expensive.

Obviously communication is a factor too, but we can usually get across what we mean through sign language and broken english!! Some people know lots of english and others none at all so it just depends on who you run into! Driving is an experience. They drive on the opposite side of the road here, so I usually have the stiffest back while driving because I am so tense and concentrated on which lane to turn into!! I have made the mistake on getting into our drivers side here a few times, which is obviously their passenger side here. And of course I am always looking for the rear view mirror to my upper right which it's not, and the same with the gear shift which is on my left here. The very first day I was here, not even 24 hours, I had to take Brian to the field so I could have the car to go to the game later that night. I was scared out of my mind to drive for the first time here, but it went rather ok!! It only took me about 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot, seriously, I couldn't find how to get out!! But I managed to find my way to the grocery store and then back to the apartment so I was pretty proud ;) It's not so bad now that I have been driving a lot more, I feel a lot more comfortable but still find that I turn the windshield wipers on when I am trying to turn on the blinker instead!! Oops! Oh, and the other weird thing I notice that they do here is that they always, always, always back their cars in to parking spots here. No one ever pulls forward into their spot, ever! I have no idea why.

The weather here is super humid. You basically sweat the minute you leave your apartment, which thankfully is air conditioned!! It's very tropical like here, really hot and humid and it can literally pour harder than I have ever seen in a moment's notice!! I have been caught outside in a few rain storms here and been soaked from head to toe in a matter of seconds!! It's crazy how hard it rains here!! Austin is usually soaking wet from sweat after 10 minutes at the park, poor guy!! And the funny thing is, the people here dress like it's cold out!! They wear hats, scarves, long sleeved gloves and pants!! And they don't look like they are sweating one bit!! I don't get it, I am in tanks and shorts and look like I jumped in a pool ;)

Everyone here rides their bikes everywhere. It is the funniest thing seeing women dressed in their high heels, cute skirts, with their designer purses in the bike basket peddling away!! There are thousands of bikes every where, and I have learned to get out of their way when walking on the street, they definitely rule the road!!

Brooke and her Daddy! She sure missed him!

Waking up her first morning in Japan so happy!! Brooke didn't seem to have too much trouble adjusting to the time difference, but Austin was a whole different story!! It took him a few days to get back on track!!

I just think this is the cutest...Brooke was crying so Austin went to comfort her by trying to put her music/dangling toys into her bouncy seat!! He was trying so hard to snap it into place for her!! Such a good big brother!!

This is pretty cute too!! Austin loves to climb up on Brooke's crib here in Japan and peek in on her while she is sleeping!

Japanese babies must not be as big!! Brooke basically spills out of her bouncy seat Brian got for her in Japan!! It's hysterical!!

All kids speak sandbox!!
It didn't take long for Austin to make some friends here in Japan!!

It's so hot here, Austin was dumping his water bottle down his shirt and over his head to cool off!!

Brooke enjoying life in Japan!

All smiles :)

Austin loves doing tummy time with his sister ;)


Austin helping Brooke lift her head up during tummy time!!

OUR FIRST GAME IN JAPAN...
Baseball games here are a lot of fun to watch. The baseball is mostly the same, but the things they do in the stands is a lot more entertaining! They get a lot of people at their games, it's very similar to ballparks in America, except everyone here sings and chants practically the whole game and they bang sticks together (well, not sticks, but plastic things that make noises!) and during the 7th inning stretch, they sing their team song and then everyone lets go of these big yellow balloons they blow up and they go sailing into the air!! It's the craziest thing I have ever seen, I thought Austin was going to absolutely love it, but he hates when they are let go into the air!! Picture 3o,000 balloons hissing into the sky and I guess it would freak a little kid out too!! He loves holding the balloon, just not when they are let go...maybe as he gets more used to it he will like it!! They also have cheerleaders here, well, kind of, they only come out at certain times to do a dance and sing to the crowd, but that's still different! And the fans here are soooooo friendly to the family of the players...in America the people that work at the ballparks do a really good job at keeping fans away from the family, but not here, people just come up to you and sit by you and take your picture and video you!! It's crazy!! Austin has had more photos taken of him, I am sure he is on Japanese You Tube somewhere!! LOL! It's a little different, but they mean no harm, they are just true fans. Austin loves being able to watch his Daddy play again, he sure missed going to baseball games!! It was really hard being away from baseball for so long, we are so used to going to all of Brian's games, so it's so great to be back!!

Austin sitting with his new friends at his first baseball game!! One of the other American players has 4 older kids here and they have literally adopted Austin!! Austin loves them, it's so cute watching him with them, and they are just so good to him!!

Grandma and Brooke cheering on Brian and his team!

Austin loving being back at the ballpark!

Austin's new friend trying to show him how to blow up his balloon for the 7th inning stretch!

Me, Brooke, Austin and my mom at Brian's game!

EXPLORING FUKUOKA...
Fukuoka is the name of the town we are living at here in Japan! It's been a lot of fun exploring the city, there is so much to learn and see! It's located about 2 hours away from Tokyo and it's right on the sea of Japan, so there are lots of beaches to explore! It's a very big city, but it also has lots of suburban areas to, so there are lots of parks and places to take Austin to play! So far I really like it here, the weather is a bit hot right now, but I guess it's not always like this ;)

Our first day exploring Fukuoka...we went for a walk and found the beach! It was a little rainy and overcast that day, but it made it nicer for all the walking around we were doing!

Grandma and Austin collecting seashells at the beach!

Austin and Grandma posing by some art structures at the park!

Grandma and Austin in front of the Fukuoka tower...it's sort of like their space needle!!

Look at all those bikes!!! More people bike than drive I think!

At the pier by the beach on another walk!

Enjoying the view at Ohari Park! It's this huge park in the city with lots of trails and castle ruins and a huge lake with paddle boats!! It's beautiful!

Grandma and Austin enjoying a swing together!

I don't even know what to say about this...
They want me to go the bathroom where?!!!!
I guess this is the Japanese style toilets and they are in most public places...I think I will just hold it!!!

OUR FIRST DAY IN FUKUOKA...
We were pretty much exhausted our first few days in Japan...it took the kids a little while to adjust to sleeping here and were waking up super early!! Which meant we didn't get much sleep either!! But once we got settled, and found some food to stock up the kitchen with, we were good to go!! Brian did a great job of having tons of toys for the kids at the apartment when we got here, it was so cute!! Austin had more cars and balls to play with, he was in heaven!! I think Brian had fun at the toy store picking them all out ;)

Brooke was so happy to be off of a plane and in our new apartment finally!!

Brian and I getting ready for our date night!! Grandma treated us to a night of babysitting so we could go out and have a dinner together!! Thank you Mom!!!

You have no idea how much I missed him!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is YUMMMM!!!!
Brian took me to one of his favorite restaurants here in downtown Fukouka and it was super delicious!! It's korean BBQ, and you basically just cook the meat yourself on a little fire pit thing that's built in your table...that and a few Asahi beers, made for one incredible dinner!!

THE PLANE TRIP...
Besides being a really, really long day...overall it went pretty good! We got to the airport in Seattle just fine, all 8 pieces of luggage got checked in (2 were car seats, 2 were my mom's and 4 were actual luggage for me and the kids!) and we boarded our plane and got settled in for the long 10 hour flight to Tokyo. I was very proud of both our kids, they did so well on the flight. Austin got a little fussy at the beginning, but for being stuck on a plane for that long, it really wasn't that bad!! He only slept about an hour and a half total, which meant my mom and I didn't get to sleep any either (we had to keep him entertained!!), but Brooke was a champ, sleeping practically the whole flight only waking to smile and eat ;) Austin kept busy watching videos on his Itouch and coloring and drawing roads to drive his cars on.

When we landed in Tokyo, we were all a little tired, it was late in the night for us by then, but we had to get our luggage and go through customs...which was a process getting to lugging around the two kids (Brooke in her car seat, Austin in the double stroller, and about 5 carryons total...yes we learned our lesson about carrying on so many things!!). We had to have a Japanese man help us push one of our carts of luggage through customs we had so much stuff!!! It must have looked funny with all our stuff, but we finally got checked in for our flight to Fukuoka and headed to our gate, which we had to wait at for about an hour, then board a bus to take to the plane. At this point we all had splitting headaches, it was about 4am our time, and we were getting a bit delirious!! Austin was hot and sweaty, spitting water out of his mouth in the airport to try to keep entertained...it was pure comedy.

Austin, Brooke and I all passed out on the plane the minute it took off, and didn't wake up until we landed in Fukuoka an hour and half later...we were pooped!! The funniest thing though, all the workers on the outside of the plane waved goodbye as we took off, and Austin loved it!! He was just waving and waving at them before we all fell asleep ;) It was pretty cute! Landing in Fukuoka was such a relief, we finally made it!!! We were all sweating from the amount of stuff we were lugging around, Austin was having a melt down he was so tired, I was basically carrying him and Brooke who was still in her car seat and pushing the stroller with half our carryons!! My mom was carrying the rest and had the most swollen feet from all the time spent in the plane, it was just crazy!! We finally got all of our bags and went out to the area where Brian was (he couldn't come in to the baggage area) and gave him the biggest hug, it was the best! It was raining when we got there, and humid as heck but we got our stuff into the 2 cars waiting for us, and went home to our apartment in Japan ;) We are finally back together as a family again!!

Brooke, Me, and Austin on our flight to Tokyo!!!

Brooke was such a trooper on the flight! She did so good!

Grandma and Austin having fun on our 10 hour flight!

Austin looked so grown up with his headphones on watching his Itouch!!

Gotta love business class!!! Austin's one and only nap on the flight ;)

Brooke taking nap #200 on grandma ;) She pretty much slept the whole flight!

I must have drawn 100 or so roads for Austin to drive his cars on while on the flight!! Here he is parking his car in "Pop-Pop's garage" :) He was so good, I was very proud! :)

10 comments:

bobarah said...

So glad you guys are enjoying your time in Japan so far. I loved your description of everything new. It brought make our first time memories :) I also loved the bathroom pic. They have two kinds of toilets in Japan, the hole in the ground and the fancy heated and bidet toilets . . . Why don't they just meet in the middle and make everything a normal toilet!!! Enjoy the rest of the season. Glad you have some good families to spend time with!

Nicole said...

I just asked Marie how you guys were doing! Great post, and I am so happy that your family is together again. Have so much fun on your new adventure! :)

CrazyRossHouse said...

You are awesome! You're so good...I would be complaining from beginning to end! I hope you guys have fun!

bobarah said...

Let me know if you are coming to Osaka. Orix is the team you will play and their players actually stay in the same apartment building as us. We will find a place to meet and hang out for sure!

Kirsten said...

Great job Sandy!! You are a total trooper. I remember my first trip overseas for work and I cried when I landed I was so homesick! Gary actually sent flowers to my room to try and cheer me up! That was the same trip where I took the tube, or lube, or whatever that underground train is in London and it ran over someone! Remember how I was so late trying to meet you? I cried then too. I do not like travelling. You are doing a super great job!! I love hearing the stories! Oh, and the boys got their shirts tonight - thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

So happy you are enjoying your stay in Japan so far! Cannot believe you are driving already! Great for you!

Brooke said...

Wow Sandy. What an incredible experience. You are 1) brave, 2) talented for traveling overseas with two kiddos under the age of 3. It's a production for me to take Cannon to the store. My hat goes off to you.

Your family is beautiful. I look forward to following your adventures in Japan!

cari said...

So neat to see everything :) I love the short counter etc..story :) Great to see you all together :)

kkp1220 said...

So glad you are back to posting, I missed you;-)
Glad things are going well. It will be over before you know it. I would die with that humidity!!
Good Luck, Love you!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sandy, you are such a trooper!! I can't even imagine all you're doing. I think the bathroom situation was Kelsey's big beef about Japan when she went. You are taking advantage of all the sights and are to be commended for your positive attitude in spite of being in a place w/ a totally different alphabet. You are making memories and will have so many great stories. Enjoy your time. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Love.