Well, we can cross broken bones off of our "first's" list!
Our little Brookie took a spill in our apartment on Monday (we're still working on the how to walk with grace thing!) and landed wrong on her arm. It was really bothering her, but Brian and I assumed she just bruised it pretty good. 2 whole days went by (I am definitely not getting mother of the year award!) and it was still really hurting her. When she tried to put pressure on it getting up, she would just fall down (hello mom, red flag right there!), and when I would take hold of her hand to put her shirt on, she would cry. You would have thought I would have taken her to the hospital sooner, but I really just thought it was badly bruised and would get better after a few days (she is definitely going to hold this one over me when she's older!).
I finally had the team interpreter make her an appointment at the hospital across from our apartment this morning and took her in to get x-rays. That was an experience in itself! The hospital was really nice, but I had a really hard time communicating with the doctors/nurses. It just so happened that none of them spoke much english. Thankfully we have the world's most patient team translator (brian and the team are out of town!) and I just kept calling him a bazillion times giving him the phone to speak to all the doctors!! Brooke was NOT a fan of getting x-rays taken. They made me leave the room, and I could hear her screaming from down the hall. Thankfully they were able to hold her still long enough to get a good one, and sure enough, they found a small fracture in the radius bone in her arm, down close to her wrist. Dang.
Through broken english, the guy looking at her x-rays managed to tell me "yes, broke!" I really thought they were just going to tell me I was being over protective and it was just bruised! Thankfully, it's really not that bad of a fracture and shouldn't take that long to heal. They put her in a temporary cast, and we will meet with the wrist/arm specialist tomorrow. They even put a little "baby" sling around her arm to help hold it up! It was hilarious watching them try to get it on her, only to have her rip it off minutes later! She is handling the whole cast thing pretty good, it doesn't seem to be in her way at all!! Poor thing!! She is such a trooper, a pretty tough girl dealing with a broken arm for 2 1/2 days!!
I owe big, big thank you's to our friend Katie for watching Austin for me while I took Brooke, and to our interpreter Taka, who got me through the whole process! Thanks guys!
I am so sorry Brookie, you are one tough cookie!!!
yes, that's a tear rolling down her cheek!! she was not too happy when they were putting on the temporary cast!
don't ya just want to give her a hug!
lolipops make everything better!
Doing much better now!
9 comments:
I'm so sorry Brooke!! Good thing you are such a trooper!! Take care :>), we miss you!
Awe, poor Brookie. What a tough cookie. Brookie Cookie. Um and that first picture, just about melted my heart. What a sweetie. And no way does your daughter look 14 months, more like 3. She's probably sporting 5T these days isn't she?
Glad to hear everything (besides Brooke's break) is going well in Japan. You are the ultimate mom Sandy. And you always look so gorgeous. I wish I had your hair.
Tootles.
OMG!!!!!
That is so not like you to wait:-( Poor thing. I am sorry I am not there to help. She is the cutest thing with that broken arm. Hope she is feeling better soon!!
xoxo
Brooke, We are so sorry to hear about your broken arm. We wish we were there to give you lots and lots of xoxoxo! Your tears just broke our hearts.....but your smiles just melt our hearts! We hope you get that off your arm real soon! Grandma and Pop Pop :)
She is seriously the cutest little thing that ever wore a cast!!! You are teaching her to be tough :-)...her coaches down the road will appreciate that...trust me :-)
Oh Brookie! We love you!! Such a little beauty. Poor baby! We wish we could hug you!!! Kisses!!
What a strong little girl. So cute in that little cast.
I would have done the same thing and not taken her in because I thought it was a bruise. Don't beat yourself up too badly over that! At least everything worked out and you get to cross off the "going to a Japanese hospital" off your bucket list. :)
So sorry, Brooke. You look so brave, just like Brave Daniel. Ask the twinies about him. I'll read it to you in AZ.
Post a Comment