Monday, October 12, 2009

Big Trip Home...

Our trip home from Japan could have just been the longest thing I have ever experienced. It actually wasn't that bad...the kids were absolutely amazing, I am in awe of how well they handled it all...it was just SO long, I get tired just thinking about it...or wait, maybe it's just because we haven't really slept since we left...but that's for the next post to come!

We started off by leaving Fukuoka at 12pm Japan time. We were met at the airport by the Japanese media, who were there stalking Brian like the paparazzi at LAX when a celebrity comes into town. I guess they do this to all the American ball players when they leave the country. It was pretty funny though, they were snapping pictures of us doing everything, from checking in, to walking to security, it was just odd. I felt like I had to keep a constant smile on my face, it was funny! Brooke didn't even make it through security before having her first "blow out" and needing an outfit change. Good thing I packed 5 replacement outfits just in case.

In true Sandy form, I packed way to much in our carryons, and could already see how much trouble we were in when it took more than 8 bins to get all of our stuff through security. But hey, you never know what we were going to need on the 14 hours worth of plane travel, and 9 hours worth of layovers we were about to encounter. My motto, always be prepared, and that, I surely was.

We had just under a 2 hour flight to Tokyo, followed by a 3 hour layover in the Tokyo airport. Thank god they had a McDonald's in the airport, as that was the only food we really ate for the next 12 hours...the food offered on our flight to San Francisco was not so great, the kids meal for Austin was sushi rolls, an omelet, shrimp and noodles in a red sauce I couldn't identify. Needless to say, Austin wasn't a fan...good thing I packed prepared and had bagels and muffins for Austin or else he would have literally starved!

The 10 hour flight was long, really long, but the kids were great. Austin fell asleep before takeoff and took a solid 2 hour nap. Just in time for Brian and I to enjoy the glass of champagne they offer at takeoff! Brooke decided her 40 minute nap during our layover in Tokyo was all she needed, and was awake the entire flight except for maybe 45 minutes somewhere in the middle. She spent most of the time with me holding her, watching quality movies with me like the "Hangover!"

After 10 hours of flying, we finally arrived in San Francisco. It was great being back in the States again, but not so great lugging our two tired kids, with no stroller (we had to check it in at Fukuoka), and all of our carryons to the customs counter which seemed to be 50 miles away from the plane. And of course that mechanical walkway thing in the airport was broken, go figure.

Once through customs, we were able to get our luggage. And finally, a cart to carry everything on! Then we had to go through the immigration counter so they could check everything we carried back in. My bag got confiscated, apparently they thought my "pedi-egg" was some exotic japanese fruit. Once they figured it out, we were free to go recheck it in for our flight to Phoenix. We also stuffed about 3 of our carryons into our bags so we had more free hands.

Walking through the airport with bags under our eyes the size of the luggage we just checked in, was very surreal. It was very weird saying Hi, to passerby's instead of Konnichiwa, and I found myself bowing at people I accidentally bumped into. First thing we did was get food. We were starving. Then off to our gate to get ready for our last flight to home. Bad news. Our 2 hour layover had now become 4 hours. Bad weather, delayed flights. Boo.

That was the worst news. The airport was crowded, dirty, and full of grumpy delayed travelers, and we just wanted to get home. At this point, we just let Austin dump out all of his toys on the floor and play, even though it completely grossed me out. And just by luck I found a little nursery room to feed Brooke in, so that was good.

Finally we got on our flight to Phoenix. It was the smallest plane, we had to walk bent over so we didn't hit our heads on the ceiling small. We were so exhausted, we all fell asleep by take off, which of course was delayed on the run way so the blue angels could take off (again, go figure!). When we landed, Austin was still out, Brian had to wake him up, and he was really unhappy about it. Austin was screaming his head off, poor guy, we felt terrible! He cried the entire way off the plane, all the way to the security check point, until he saw Nana and Papa, and he was all smiles again, we were finally home!

Brian and the media at the Fukouka Airport in Japan...I wonder if TMZ was there?!

Keep that smile on your face Brooke, we still have 13 hours of flying to go!!!

Austin and Brian were quite the travel buddies ;)

A game of peek-a-boo at the Tokyo airport!

Nothing like rolling around on the floor at the airport to keep one happy! (I won't even think about how dirty they were!)

Brooke's cat nap at the Tokyo airport...this nap lasted here the next 9 hours...if I would have known that, I would have kept her up!!!!

Austin checking out the "big, big plane" we were about to get on!

Brooke and her Daddy checking out the planes on the runway!

The perfect traveler! Austin was asleep by takeoff!

Gotta love business class!

Brooke keeping busy on the flight from Tokyo to San Fran

We played many games of peek-a-boo!

Checking out the sunrise as we got closer to the International date line

Yet another nap!

Such a big boy!! Austin rolled his own carryon through the airports all by himself, it was pretty darn adorable!

Still going strong at the San Francisco airport!

Keeping entertained at our last layover of the long journey home!!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

WOW That is some traveling adventure. I am tired just thinking about that flight home. So glad your back in the states.

Kirsten said...

What the heck is a pedi-egg? Glad it's over... for this season anyway!

cari said...

What a crazy travel day!!! So glad you are home~~~it was so good to see you guys the other day!!!

Bill and Paige said...

i bet you are so glad to be home!!